I Think I Can, I Think I Can

The ten day forecast says spring will arrive on Tuesday, so if you’ve been dilly dallying because of the snow I suggest you get ready to hit the ground running!  It is April after all, and although our weekly and sometimes daily snowstorms might hint otherwise, I do see a 70F day approaching and then no below freezing temperatures for the next week…. as long as we wait until Tuesday of course.

hellebore in the snow

Monday morning and the kids began the first week of April with a snow day.

Most everyone has been complaining about the weather but I always like to remind these buttercups that we live in the mountains of Pennsylvania, and the whole ‘April showers’ thing was probably dreamed up by some idle poet wasting away another gloomy English morning on a sofa by the window, waiting for the sun to make an appearance.  Come to think of it this cold and gloomy, precipitate-rich spring weather is what I imagine spring in the UK and Pacific Northwest to be like.  It’s excellent weather for growing things like moss and liverworts but less entertaining for the gardener.  Even if it does keep the winter flowers like snowdrops in bloom for what seems like forever.

galanthus nivalis

Some late, almost completely white snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis) still looking good in spite of the on again off again snow cover.

Now would probably be a good time to pat myself on the back for not going as far overboard on the snowdrops as I usually do.  You’re welcome.  Even though it’s been one of the longest seasons ever, with not too-much heavy snow and zero single digit arctic blasts, it’s been cold and dreary and I just don’t enjoy taking pictures when it’s so miserable out.  That and I’ve been posting a lot on Facebook through the ‘Snowdrops in American Gardens’ FB group.  That probably helped as well, and probably saved many a reader from straining an eye muscle from too frequent eye-rolls.  I don’t know about elsewhere but optic strain seems to be a problem in this house when I mention snowdrops.

leucojum vernum

A snowdrop cousin, the spring snowflake (Leucojum vernum) coming up in a damp corner of the yard.

I will round out the season with one last mention of snowdrops.  Two years ago I found an amazing clearance deal on bulk snowdrops and planted about 300 Woronow’s snowdrops (Galanthus woronowii) late in the season.  As fate would have it, great joy is often tempered with tragedy so of course they were nearly all destroyed by a brutal freeze just as they were coming up that first year.  This year it’s been better though, and a few of the survivors are actually strong enough to put up a flower.  Green tipped snowdrops are always a pleasant find and there are only a few green-tipped woronowii, so finding this one was a real treat.

green tip worowonii

Woronow’s snowdrop, aka the green snowdrop, aka Galanthus woronowii, with strong green tips and some extra green on the inner petals.  Woronowii are often a little boring, so of course I love it 🙂

In between snowstorms I’ve been ‘that guy’ trimming back perennials, cleaning out beds and hauling mulch on the day before six more inches are predicted.  To be honest I started in February when we had our first warm spell, but it was only last week that the far end of the front border finally lost enough of its snow cover that I could finish up.  For those who don’t already know, my mode of attack for spring cleanup is trim it all back to the ground with the hedge trimmer, rake most of it onto the lawn, run it all over with the lawnmower and bag it up for mulch.  As a finishing touch I cut the lawn real short and bag that as well so that everything looks obsessively neat and green and ready for spring.

chopped leaves mulch

The least professional part of my cleanup is when I lug the chopped leaves over from the neighborhood dump at the end of the street, and spread them out across the bed.  Another man’s trash…. plus it covers all the twigs and debris that I didn’t care enough to rake off.

Not to rub my garden cleanup obsession in too much but I actually finished the last of the spring cleanup yesterday.  It doesn’t all look pretty, but at least there will be no dead stalks and dried weeds to bother me in May.

narcissus rijnvelds early sensation

A mulch of the chopped debris from out front will keep the weeds down in back.  It’s just fine for the first daffodil, ‘Rijnveld’s Early Sensation’, flowering for the first time that I can remember.  Usually it’s usually too early and the buds get frozen off in February.

All the cleanup has distracted me from seed starting, of which I’ve gone overboard with this year.  The cold left me inside way too long and I’ve been up to just about everything else except the starting of tomato seedlings which should have sown two weeks ago.  I’m sure I can find one at the nursery if things get desperate.  Much better now to focus on the unnecessary native southeastern NA fern spore dust which has miraculously done something over the last few weeks.  I spend way too much time admiring the green fuzz inside a baby food container, but to be honest I still can’t believe the dust I sprinkled on top had done anything.

growing ferns from spores

I think I have ferns!  Not to gloss over millions of years of primitive reproduction but the spores grow a green fuzz and the green fuzz does the sex stuff which results in new fern plants.  I suggest searching for more on the topic in case I’ve become too technical 😉

I’ll leave you with even more evidence of snow day idleness.  Coleus plants ready for new cuttings to be taken, and way too many succulents.  I started even more a few weeks ago and still have absolutely no plans for what to do with them, so we’ll see where this ends up.  Maybe they can go outside Tuesday even though that does nothing to answer the question of what to do with them.

succulent cuttings

Succulent cutting in the winter garden.  They’re another thing I spend way too much time looking at.

In the meantime enjoy whatever weather comes your way and I hope spring has either found you or is well on its way.  Hopefully the weather doesn’t turn too nice though, I still need to start a few tomatoes…. and plant some pansies, since I may have bought some pansies 🙂

12 comments on “I Think I Can, I Think I Can

I don’t think I could hear too much about galanthus even though I only have two varieties. I do love them but I am such a futz at ordering online. I might never get any more but I love them.
    As to fern fuzz…how exciting. I can’t wait to see how they develop. I haven’t ever noticed them fuzzing and reproducing.
    All of those succulents. Maybe you can sell them and purchase something new. Or donate them to be sold for a charity. Or just sit back and watch them grow, Grow, GROW.

You have been quite busy! I like your method of using everything to make a mulch. I was reading about biodynamic gardening this morning and it is all about using leaf mold/manure that is at least a year old that has bacteria and fungi galore. They sequester nutrients, carbon, etc. for the plants to use. Cool stuff.
    Maybe you ought to have a plant sale with your extras to offset the cost of your garden habit. 😉 I give my extras to the garden club for their annual May sale. Although, now that there are these Asian worms, garden club shares may be a thing of the past. Just one more thing to make us crazy.

3. Here’s hoping the warmer weather will actually appear here this week as forecast. Have not been able to get near the snowdrops in the back garden, so don’t know what they might be doing or not. The snow and cold cut short the ones by the house. Can’t get over all those plants in your “lab.” And the fern dust project is too cool. I did see a couple of my Worronii before the last snow. Love those geen tips.

4. It got down to 13°F this morning and never did get much above freezing today. I don’t see 70 in my forecast but I see a couple of 68s which are almost as good. Too bad there’s also rain forecast for those days. I hope you can make some money selling surplus succulents. If you can pot them up in a trough you just happen to have laying around, you can sell them for a lot more. If you don’t have any hypertufa laying around, maybe you can find something retro or fairy gardenish at a garage sale and use that. I always have great ideas for how other people can make money.

Jason; this is becoming a habit!!! You mention your purchases in the last line of your text. ever mind, I don’t mind how much you spend and a few pansies can’t have cost very much! I really enjoyed reading about your clear up. I think your spring may properly arrive before mine, which is still one day on and 3 or 4 off.

I notice you don’t say how much your pansies cost. Not that we are counting.
    I am impressed by the fern spore trick, I’ve never done that.
    And all those succulents; are you starting a shop?
    I am impressed by your clean up and all that mulch. Enjoy your spring when it comes.

7. hb says:

So what does your winter do to the chopped leaves etc you place on the bed? They decompose? I have no sense of what happens in your vastly different climate that has cold and moisture. Stuff doesn’t break down fast here, it just dries out.

The snow drops are lovely and your succulents are perfectly well grown so your skill is considerable! I must rely on a mostly forgiving climate.

I missed everyone’s snowdrops this year (due to not blogging over the winter), so you could have gone on a bit more! As a substitute I whipped over to your snowdrop pages – and wished I hadn’t because I never seem to add to my existing three (although I always plan to buy at least 2 more every year). I couldn’t see anywhere to comment so will bore everyone on this page by asking if your ‘Sam Arnott’ seems to take a rest every year or so? Mine does – and it really, really makes me anxious (silly!). This year I had only one flower (it’s quite a large clump), so am obsessing quite a lot. I love your spring clean-up routine! I guess you have small, early things (like snowdrops) planted away from those areas? Those succulents are so sweet – and incredibly colourful.I would spend a lot of time looking at them too!

9. I like the Leucojum vernuum. I have lots of L. aestivum blooming right now. The tall inflorescences and long leaves are nice, but there’s something to be said for a short compact plant like the L. vernuum.

Good work on the ferns!

10. Everyone always complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it. Who said that? Anyway, we’ve suddenly got spring-like weather, but then it’s supposed to snow over the weekend. I like your approach to shredding garden debris but unfortunately I have a push mower – I hate power mowers. I’ve actually given in and hired someone to do the spring clean up. So I’ve spent the last six weeks sending harassing emails asking when they’re going to do our property.

11. Lisa Rest says:

Congratulations on the cleanup! I haven’t even started. But now I’m thinking I’ll risk uncovering the rain barrels so I can harvest some of the rain and gamble on the two days when we get just below freezing temps. I’m also in a quandary about where to scatter some seeds. Looking forward to almost all the surprises…

12. Do the two days of summer that we just had (Friday and Saturday) count as “spring”? 😉 Of course we are now going to drown (“How long can you tread water?”) tomorrow (the 16th) if we don’t get struck by lightning from the thunderstorms. But… it won’t be snow!! 😀