Tuesday View: The Tropics 11.22.16

Following the first hard frost, the tropical view has continued to spiral downwards into the reality of its temperate latitude.  Our first significant snowfall came on Saturday night and although snow at this time of year is not unheard of, the long warm autumn and the fact Saturday topped out at 65F (18C) left me in a bit of a shock when I woke up to the white.

Tuesday view snow

I guess it might finally be time to dig the dahlias and cannas.

The frosted annuals and browned cannas are still standing just where they were three weeks ago, and although the mess may look like complete apathy has set in the reality is I’ve been quite busy.  There’s been a good amount of earth moving and bed building on top of the required leaf cleanup and bulb planting and I feel pretty good about spring, I just want warmth to return for a few more weeks so I can finish digging and planting.

But if the weather doesn’t change I’ll get over it.  No one’s life has ever crumbled over a few unraked leaves or frozen dahlias and as long as there are plenty of snowdrops in April I’ll be fine.  There’s always next year 🙂

18 comments on “Tuesday View: The Tropics 11.22.16

I like your attitude, Frank. One can only do what one can do and no use worrying about it!

Just as Eliza says, you have a great attitude towards it all! I got my last tidying up done yesterday, but somehow it doesn’t look like winter is on the way yet. The leaves are still to be raked as it was far too wet, but that can wait. Hope you get some more milder weather to finish your jobs. That was a great Tuesday view and I think we should pick our favourite weeks to show some time in December or January, just to cheer ourselves up!

I agree completely! I’ll need some garden inspiration when winter starts dragging on and there are no significant dessert holidays on the horizon. I may start the kids skiing this winter, that should liven things up!

Sad to see the end of all your beautiful flowers, but we can all look forward to next year.

It’s always in the back of my mind how fleeting the season can be. We have at least four months of cold to look forward to before there’s any hope for a glimmer of new green, I’m going to be very thankful for having a few things growing under lights!

Very sad to see the end of your tropical garden for this year Frank. The snow is pretty the first time I seee it but I wouldn’t like to be looking at white for an extended period.

Endless snow is the northern equivalent of a droughty summer which dries the joy out of everything in the garden. A long winter and then a dry summer makes me really question this hobby…. and then a new flower opens 🙂

5. No snow here yet, which means we’ve passed my first personal goal: No snow before Thanksgiving. Still lots of leaves and locust pods waiting to be picked up now – or in April. Once the weather changes it is hard to get back out there and finish up.

Looks like the weather has gone and changed, we have some of the same snow which passed through your way, just a little less and a little warmer.
      I did get out last week and finished a few things. Saturday I was cutting back grasses in the blowing snow, it sounds much worse than it was since I was just plain happy to be outside!

6. With the long, late fall we had more time than ever to clean up, so why didn’t I get it all done? You used my favorite saying, Frank — there’s always next year. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful as was mine. P. x

Thanks Pam, it was a relaxing Thanksgiving and now we are well into the Christmas countdown!
      The snow has covered up whatever messes I’ve left behind. Out of sight and out of mind, and I don’t think the plants are concerned 🙂

7. I am in “unraked leaves” mode myself this fall, Frank. Of course it did help that an unusually high wind on Friday night blew most of mine all the way across the street, LOL.

8. You can always spend the winter leafing through catalogs and reading garden books. The tropics shall return.

I’ve already dipped into the book shelf and considered a few ‘happy holidays to me’ purchases. Sunday on the recliner with a book and a coffee makes you grateful for winter.