GBFD April ’16

Imagine my embarrassment when I saw it’s been nearly two weeks since my last post.  I know the exact reason for the pause but right now just  don’t want to get into the ugly truths about mixing brutal cold fronts with fresh spring growth.  Instead I’ll focus on the beautiful sunshine of a cool spring morning and join in for a very quick visit to celebrate Garden Bloggers Foliage Day with Christina from ‘Creating my own garden of the Hesperides’.

muscari and blue fescue

The grayish leaves of blue fescue (Festuca glauca) alongside the blue flowers of grape hyacinths (Muscari).  Please ignore the freeze burned tulips to the left of the photo…

Thanks to Christina for the monthly reminder to reexamine the contributions foliage makes to the overall look and feel of the garden, and this month it’s a border of blue fescue which has me most pleased with foliage effect.  This border was switched up last spring when I divided and spread a few clumps all along the foundation plantings, and this spring it has filled in with a lush vigor which really shows off the bed.  Now that the fescue is making me happy I’m fixated on a clump of blue muscari growing just behind the grass clumps.  There’s a strong possibility this will be divided and spread along as well since I like the combination.

The fescue and muscari are extremely common plants and both were free shovel-fuls from other gardens.  It kind of makes me reconsider that bucket of plant labels which no longer match living partners… but not enough to cure that plant lust for all the new goodies 🙂

See?  I promised it would be quick.  Please visit Christina’s blog as well, it’s always a pleasure to see and hear about the foliage others across the globe are enjoying in their own gardens, and have a great weekend!

10 comments on “GBFD April ’16

I have to admit to think your image today is one of the best you’ve ever shared. The light, the mix of plants – truly lovely. thanks for taking time out to contribute to GBFD Frank.

Thanks Christina, that’s a wonderful thing to say. I am pleased with how the plants are filling in, I just have to work out what annual accents will go in this summer… but I’ve been very lazy as far as to starting them.

Love your combination of fescue and Muscari, they go so well together.

3. rusty duck says:

The whole border is a picture.

The border does look great. The blue fescue is a great feature.

5. Yeah, I have the same issue with freezer-burnt foliage on a lot of my bulbs, especially those that bravely, foolishly, emerged in late December! Your Hellebore looks nice back there. Mine suffered a bit over the winter. It’s not dead,but not quite thriving, either. I love the grape hyacinths with the fescue. They set each other off beautifully! You should definitely expand that!

I’ll email Kimberley, we can commiserate! The hellebore has recovered fairly well, it’s neighbor gave up and is all just foliage and I’m happy that at least is doing ok now that the blooms have been fried.
      I hope your hellebore perks up again. It was a tough spring for them and I’ve never had so many lost and damaged blooms 😦