A day of rest

Sunday being a day of rest I try to avoid too much noisy, heavy labor on this end of the weekend.  I don’t exactly deserve it since I did plenty of resting yesterday as well, but on this subject I will defer to the higher authority and take it easy.  With daffodils beginning their season it’s hard anyway to focus on serious projects.  The blooms are a great distraction on what thankfully turned out to be a warm sunny spring day.

best daffodils

The vegetable garden is looking good in spite of its lack of vegetable space. My favorite daffodils deserve a good spot just as much as some bean or pepper plant.

I did manage to get a few things moving in the ‘potager’.  With so many flowers filling the beds, calling it “the farm” anymore seems a bit inappropriate.  Maybe a flower farm, but definitely not a hotbed for fresh produce.  I did find a few open spots for squeezing in a couple lettuce and broccoli transplants.  That should keep the rabbits happy.

planting sprouted potatoes

Lettuce and arugula tranplants are in and hopefully will amount to something before temperatures rise. I also planted a few of the sprouting potatoes found in the back of the storage bin. Not a picture for the serious gardener but that’s how we roll here 😉

Covering all the vegetable beds with whatever mulch I could scrounge up (mostly shredded leaves and grass clippings from the lawnmower bag) has made bed prep a snap this spring.  I just stirred in whatever leaves were left of the top coating and popped transplants into the ground.  My little vegetable babies from under the growlights will hopefully make me proud in no time at all.

growing daffodils

I’ve given up on this vegetable bed, and the daffodils have completely taken over.  Note the empty chair.  Trust me it gets plenty of use 🙂

So I did get a little done yesterday to deserve a break.  Not exactly a lot by most standards but after waiting so long I hate to see the season fly by.  I want to soak up every minute and hope you can do the same as well!

29 comments on “A day of rest

1. I feel like such a slug after reading your post, because I too did more “resting” yesterday than I should have, given the lack of rain. You have inspired me to get off my lazy derriere today (it is now already 11 am, ouch) and sally forth to do battle with the weedy hordes!

I will not ask if you had any success in your battle against weeds 🙂
      Today was windier and cooler, I didn’t do what I hoped to do but I did get a little more done. Every bit helps and if worse comes to worse summer drought or winter cold will clean the slate!

Your narcissus are amazing, what a lovely splash of sunshine in their petals! I think this is the best time of year when everything is new and fresh, I just wish I could keep up with it all.

Thanks, I agree. Once the grass greens (we don’t have the luxury of green winter turf) everything looks so much better. I can’t even imagine the pests and diseases of August.

3. Your daffs are looking great. I’m being relatively lazy this weekend, myself. I set up the fountain in the back garden and did my first round of weeding. Big shipment of plants for my new parkway bed coming next weekend, so I’ve got to rest up to be ready.

Laziness is much maligned. Your idea of resting up is a good one and shows foresight and preparedness. Much better than running around like a chicken with no head and wasting time pulling tiny weeds which will be much easier to handle in another seven days.

Glad to hear you had a day off. Today was lovely sunshine here and for the first time in ages I also just sat and enjoyed the garden for an hour or two. It felt good! Love all your daffodils. Have a great week Frank!

That’s a nice sunshiny border. Excellent place to rest up.

6. mattb325 says:

The daffs look so stunning, that sometimes ‘work’ in the garden can be just plain old admiration!

7. Wonderful…my starts are for warm weather…all cool weather are seed sown outdoors and beds covered…I wish I had more room in my grow station for lettuce etc to start inside.

I thought about using a few covers this year, but figured things were warming up enough it wasn’t worth the trouble. I might have to reconsider since they would probably do a good job keeping the bunnies away.
      My warm weather starts are only now starting to come on. With the lettuce out of the way and temperatures in the garage going up they finally have the room they’ll need!

8. Oh, my, your daffodils are labeled. Cloudy and chilly today, but I had guests, so wasn’t planning garden work anyway. Got lots to do tomorrow.

They are labeled, it is a vegetable garden after all!
      I put them there since I only had a few of each and wasn’t sure where I wanted them to go in the new beds. Some have been divided and moved into the garden but I still have a few special ones kept close in order for me to really be able to inspect them and compare. Is that weird? I’m kind of thinking I might have some letting go issues…. but I’m making progress and think I’ve cut back enough to drop below the 200 mark now 😉

9. Wonderful daffodil display. All the work putting in the bulbs really pays off. I noticed your boxwood got wind burned. Did you trim them late in the season last year?

Yes I did trim late! Do you think that’s what happened to the boxwood? The snow drifted around and the tops were exposed so I thought that was the problem, but now that you mention it maybe the late trim was to blame. I just gave them another cut today and they look much better.

• Trimming late forces new growth and that is what the wind does its damage to the boxwood, especially if not snow covered like you mention. Yes, trimming the wind damage off works wonders since boxwood just keeps filling in all seasoon.

Makes sense. I was late enough so that there wasn’t any growth forced, but I bet all the fresh wounds were just as bad!

Great to see all these sunny, cheerful faces (your daffodils that is), Frank. Once you lift them, you’ll have plenty of space for veg or will you leave them in the ground? What happened to your box? Is it frost damage? Couldn’t believe my eyes at the weekend when I spotted caterpillars in mine…no rest for me as I had to check all the plants. Happy days – hope all is well again in your family!

Thanks Annette. Things are going well here again and finally we’re enjoying the warmer days! It is windburn on the box and Donna suggested it might be the result of a late trim -which I think might be the case.
      I’m disgusted you have the caterpillars too, they did so much damage in Christina’s garden I hate to see you having to do battle with them. Are you handpicking? So much trouble for what was formerly such a trouble-free plant.
      Some of the daffodils are coming out but I’m sure there will be new ones to take their place! At least I didn’t fill the beds with tulips this year 😉

The daffodils are just as they should be – beautiful! I agree with you totally, you should enjoy the garden while you can, winter in long and hard.

12. I’ve given up on vegetables and would just rather go to the Farmer’s Market. But I do save room for carrots and sweet potatoes. There is so much to do in the garden right now that just resting makes me twitchy. But there is plenty of hammock time to be had in the summer.

I don’t blame you for passing on the veggie growing. Last year I looked at the corn harvest and compared it to the 6 ears for $2.50 from the farmstand. No comparison even if all you figure in is the watering! …still I’ll be growing more this year. I’m a slow learner 🙂

Your daffodil patch is so cheery. I don’ t blame you for wanting to stop and stare.. I am baffled by that turquoise chair. I thought your chairs were orange. Or do you repaint them each season to match your mood?

Good memory Chloris! The orange is out in the front garden and I’m less thrilled with the blue so I tend to avoid photographing them. Repainting isn’t the worst idea, but I already have more projects than I can handle!