Like bees on cherry

I have a love/hate relationship going on with the weeping cherry near the garage. For all of seven days in early spring(less if it’s warm) it puts on its floral show, and when it does I hate the dirty white color.  The tree is filled with dead twigs which need removing, it frequently needs pruning, and its trunk harbors a colony of carpenter ants(just waiting to stage an assault on the house).  The few redeeming qualities of the tree are what have kept it off the woodpile.  The wintertime structure of the weeping branches appeals to me, and early bulbs seem to like growing in its dank, rooty, shade, but most of all for the few days when it’s in flower insects far and wide swarm to what must be the first nectar buffet open in the neighborhood.

mixed daffodils

The daffodils are coming on, but they just don’t pull in the pollinators like the cherry tree does.

Here’s my first attempt to get a video of the blossom orgy.  If you risk clicking, it’s about a one minute phone video I took and although there are many reasons why I do not expect it to garner more than 15 views tops, I hope someone out there likes the buzzing (turn up the volume) and the fluttering.

I did try to get a few still shots of bees, but that realm of photography is still way beyond me.  If bugs are your thing I highly recommend giving Donna a visit at Garden Walk, Garden Talk.  Now there’s someone who knows her way around a macro lens.

8 comments on “Like bees on cherry

1. You are right. It is a bee magnet. I wish I had that many bees flying around here. We just don’t have that many anymore.

I’m a little surprised myself by the number of honeybees. There must be a hive somewhere.
      The bumblebees have become more and more common over the years. There are dozens on the tree and I’m assuming they are the queens from last fall starting up their new families, so I’m guessing there will soon be more and more.

I tried to get a video of the bees on our hazel catkins earlier this year, but the bees were too high up. Good to see so many on your cherry, and butterflies too. 😀

I feel like I recognize the butterflies from last year, they’re all the cabbageworms that grew up in my broccoli patch last year!
      Hazelnuts- I wouldn’t think of planting that for the bees, but I’ll need to keep it in mind.

Bees and butterflies were attracted to it, for that reason alone it must stay! Lovely to see so many butterflies, we have only seen one or two so far.

I guess I do have to keep it… I’m considering planting a new one in a less prominent area, maybe one with a pink flower since there’s already so much white around here.
      I hope the butterflies find you soon, theses are all the cabbageworms from last summer… Still nice though!

Well it is worth keeping when the bees and butterflies like it so much.I don’t know why you don’ t like it, I think the dainty flowers are pretty unlike the big blowsy pink ones which are strewing petals everywhere in my garden at the moment. It is a massive great Prunus Kansan; horrible, vulgar thing. Even the pigeons are offended by it, they spend all day pulling the buds off it, but it is a losing battle there are too many.

Your comment made me laugh! A neighbor has one of those vulgar pepto- bismo cherries and I love it (as long as it keeps its distance). My favorite phase is when the blossoms lose their petals and there’s a steady pink rain on every breeze and drifts of petals line the street. The kids pick them up for throwing and much fun is had.
      There’s something off about mine. The flowers just aren’t white enough for me and always look a bit dirty. Maybe I need to find a nice single pale pink, or I’ll get an orchard cherry…. A big bee feeder in the spring and then a big bird feeder in the summer 🙂